Utmärkt artikel! (lång, på engelska)

MsMarvelous

Trådstartare
Danny Warrington har skrivit en utmärkt artikel i senaste numret av Chronicle of the Horse, ang. ryttar ansvar.

Jag håller med honom 100%-igt! :bow::bow::bow:

Vad tycker ni?

Horseman's Forum, Chronicle of the Horse

No One Can Fix Eventing Except The Riders
May 9, 2008 Issue

The writer has a unique perspective on the serious responsibilities that every upper-level rider must assume.

I feel like 250,000 people out there are yelling that our sport is bad, and there are about 250 riders saying it’s not the sport that’s a problem, it’s individuals. And we’re whispering, and we’re not being heard.

Every article you pick up, every outside influence, is saying that we need to change the sport—we’ve got to make it safer, we’ve got to do all these things. To me it really isn’t the sport that needs to change, it’s the way the sport is being played. You can’t make enough rules to make somebody think.

For instance at Rolex Kentucky, what prompted Emilee Libby to pull up at Fence 7A and not continue? Was it the fact that she had a bad fall or had seen a bad fall? What made her make that decision? That was the best piece of horsemanship I saw all weekend.

The first thing we have to do is stop looking to the organizations—the U.S. Eventing Association or U.S. Equestrian Federation—and stop looking to rule changes, and accept personal responsibility.

It’s like when you stop at a stoplight and the light turns green. Do you just take off, or do you look left and look right before you take off and make sure no one else is coming the other way? I mean, I look both ways before I go. That’s the kind of personal responsibility that we need to take at this level.

At lower levels, it’s different. We’re working with the Instructor Certification Program, and everyone’s
trying to up the standards at the lower levels. But at the top, you’ve gotten there. And you need to have some self-awareness, self-preservation.

In the races, at Saratoga [N.Y.] one year, there were some rumors that the officials wanted to take the
second fence off the backside because that’s where most of the falls occur. But then the falls are just going to happen at the next fence, because everybody is making a move there. They can’t keep changing the sport. Riders who aren’t paying attention are going to keep finding ways to fall.

Learning From Tragedy

I lost my wife Amanda at an event 10 years ago. Let’s use her example as a teaching tool. She made a mistake. I made a mistake, and the sport didn’t make a mistake.

By pushing so hard to achieve goals, we’re pushing right past the point. Do you know why Amanda didn’t make the team? Because she didn’t live long enough. Because she pushed so hard to get there that she died in the process. It’s horrible and it’s tragic, but it wasn’t the sport’s fault. Nobody made her run that horse. I never told her not to run the horse. We sat at home and tried to figure out how to make the horse go better instead of saying maybe this horse isn’t an advanced horse. Maybe he’s good at the intermediate level.

When you are team-bound, when you are goal-driven, you don’t look at life that way until it’s too late. I’m trying to tell people, sometimes it’s better to go home and come back another day. Sometimes it’s better to look at your horse and say, “You know what buddy, I love you, but maybe the four-star, or the three-star or even the two-star level is above you,” and not push your horse or yourself past the point you can do.

I don’t understand why people think that they have a god-given right to go around Kentucky as fast as they can or as fast as they want to. It’s your job out there to take care of you and your horse first. If you don’t like a course, don’t run it. If you think questions aren’t fair, don’t run. Most people don’t do that. Some said this year looked like a soft Kentucky, and I said there’s no such thing as a soft four-star. Maybe this one wasn’t as tough as others, but it’s tough. Don’t mistake it.

Amanda had five advanced horses—Regal Style, Chevalier, Broadstone Harvest Moon, Exodus, and Drizzle was on his way. Berlioz [whom she fell with] was just trying to catch up to the others. Maybe it’s my fault. Maybe I should have said, “Hey Amanda, you know, the horse really doesn’t want to do it.”

But I was 27 years old; she was 28. You don’t think that way. You think, “I need more horses so I can get on the team.” And she would have made the team—Chevalier did go to the Olympics when Bobby Costello took over the ride. It wouldn’t even have taken any more time. But she didn’t get to make the decision because she was too ambitious.

Know When To Call It A Day

You have to be aggressive in this sport. It is X-C; there is an X in front of it. It is an X game. This is an adrenaline sport, and you have to be on the edge. It is tough; it is a thrill. You can’t come out and ride it like it’s the hunters either, but you have to know by the time you get to the upper levels, that there is a day that you have to pull up.

It’s part of the game to say, “This is not my day” and go home. I did it at the Fair Hill CCI*** (Md.)—my horse had two more stops to go [before being eliminated], and the stops he’d had were not horrible, but my horse said, “You know what, I don’t want to do this.” And I said, “OK, let’s go home before we get hurt.” And I went home and didn’t get hurt.

When you have consistent things telling you that you are having a bad day, you’ve got to make the decision: Do you want to pull up, or do you want to go home in an ambulance? I’ve got to tell you: pull up! Walk your horse home. There is no shame in retiring.

Go home, school, figure out what’s going on, and maybe, your horse isn’t a four-star horse. Maybe your horse isn’t a three-star horse. Maybe you’re not a four-star rider. Maybe you’re not a three-star rider. Those are facts you have to face, but don’t kill yourself trying.

Laine Ashker has been going fast since early March, in Florida—she’s had the fastest time cross-country consistently. And is it my fault, me, Danny Warrington, is it my fault for not calling up Laine and saying, “If you don’t slow down you’re going to fall?” But she’s winning; she’s qualified, and everything looks good.

But how many people besides me see this and don’t say anything? No one says anything.

It’s not the sport’s fault because she’s met the qualifications. It’s not the design of the course because everybody else jumped relatively well around Kentucky this year. It is a four-star—there should be a 50 percent finish rate clean. Not everyone should jump around a four-star clean, otherwise it’s a training level horse trial. I don’t think that’s unreasonable at that level. But it should be because a rider retires or makes a good decision, not because a rider keeps pushing until he or she goes home in an ambulance.

You’ve got to wake up and say, “You know what, my day is not going good, and I need to pull up. This isn’t working out.” And live to fight another day. It’s not up to your coach or the USEA or USEF to tell you that. Because you should know. By the time you get to that level, you should know.

Accidents are always going to happen. But if the horse and rider have the right mindset, you’re going to see fewer of them.

I don’t think you can make rules to stop them. They have to stop themselves. You can’t stop every drunk driver from getting on the road. As the rider, you feel that it is not your day. Not every horse is an advanced horse, and not every rider is an advanced rider. As riders, as horsemen, we need to really understand that. Just because you’re qualified to go doesn’t mean you’re ready to go.

Waylon Roberts had a great round, and he’s 19. He comes from a horseman’s family. We can’t make rules that say you’ve got to be at least 25 years old to ride around Kentucky, because that’s not fair either. But you have to have a serious amount of experience before you attempt something at that level. So many of these younger riders go out without the mileage to feel if the horse is tired, or understand the difference between tired and off the bridle.

Sv: Utmärkt artikel! (lång, på engelska)

forts....

Let’s Help Ourselves

If we as competitors who love our sport would shout out what is really wrong with the sport, which is the way some people are playing it, then we might have a chance against people who are trying to shut us down. And instead of whispering about what’s wrong, addressing it.

That’s sort of why I’m coming forward and saying that Amanda’s accident had nothing to do with the fence, the day, the footing or lighting or time, or anything but that we were pushing a horse to go advanced that wasn’t really ready or maybe wasn’t an advanced horse.

The reason that I’m talking about Amanda’s fall is that maybe there are others out there who feel that their fall was due to poor judgment on their part, that they may speak out. Because the world believes that the sport is the problem. And I believe it’s the greatest game on the planet when you play it right.

Learn from mistakes you see around you, and don’t expect the organization to do things for you.

Coaches—if you don’t think your kid isn’t ready to go novice, training, preliminary, intermediate, or advanced, don’t let them. Don’t send them out there if they’re not ready. That is a very tough thing to have to live with, and believe me, you don’t want to live with it.

The word “no” has to come out of your mouth. The words “you’re not ready” have to come out of your mouth. The words “your horse isn’t that quality” have to come out of your mouth. If you lose a customer and he goes to somebody else, if we all agree that we’re not going to do this anymore, maybe we can help ourselves help our sport instead of looking at the organizations.

And one more point: I hear people talking about horses that have had these issues, like Amy Tryon last year at Kentucky, or Jonathan Holling’s horse who had an aneurysm at Red Hills (Fla.). And I want to say to people: if you haven’t had a horse break down underneath of you, if you haven’t had a horse have an aneurysm, if you haven’t had a horse flip, if you have not ridden advanced, maybe this isn’t something you need to be talking about. Because you don’t have the experience. And all you have is an opinion.

Because I’ve had all of those things happen. I lost my wife. I’ve had horses break their legs and break down. Between racing and eventing, there’s not a lot that hasn’t happened to me. And don’t judge people until you’ve been in that situation. I mean that in a positive way: I don’t want everybody to have those situations. But listen to the people who have. Don’t push when you shouldn’t push. There’s a day to pull up. There’s a day to go home, and there’s a day to fight again.

We don’t have to change the sport. We have to change way the sport is being played by the players.

Danny Warrington

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Danny Warrington is an advanced-level rider and professional teacher and trainer at Warrington Eventing near Fair Hill, Md. He was married to international rider Amanda Warrington, and he rode steeplechase races for 10 years.

Just because you’re qualified to go doesn’t mean you’re ready to go.

Maybe your horse isn’t a three-star horse. Maybe you’re not a four-star rider. Maybe you’re not a three-star rider. Those are facts you have to face, but don’t kill yourself trying.

Do you want to pull up, or do you want to go home in an ambulance? I’ve got to tell you: pull up! Walk your horse home. There is no shame in retiring.

DET HÄR ÄR PRECIS VAD FOLK MÅSTE FÖRSTÅ!!!

:bow: :bow:

Coaches—if you don’t think your kid isn’t ready to go novice, training, preliminary, intermediate, or advanced, don’t let them. Don’t send them out there if they’re not ready. That is a very tough thing to have to live with, and believe me, you don’t want to live with it.

The word “no” has to come out of your mouth. The words “you’re not ready” have to come out of your mouth. The words “your horse isn’t that quality” have to come out of your mouth. If you lose a customer and he goes to somebody else, if we all agree that we’re not going to do this anymore, maybe we can help ourselves help our sport instead of looking at the organizations.

Och detta är vad alla tränare borde ta fasta på...:bow:

Helt fantastisk artikel! Suveränt uttryckt. Det är precis så här det är.:bow:

Helt fantastisk artikel!!!! :bow::bow:

Du skulle inte vilja vidarebefodra en länk till den artikeln till tidningen ridsport. Detta känns verkligen som en sådan artikel som hela fälttävlanssverige (och världen) skulle behöva läsa.

Helt fantastisk:bow:

Nu är ju artikeln redan tryckt i Chronicle of the Horse, så jag tror inte att Ridsport kan vidarepublicera utan tillstånd från dem...

Men jag är SÅ glad att ni alla håller med!
Om "alla" ser till att ha lite tuffare attityd mot ekipage som är oansvariga har sporten tagit ett stort steg framåt!:bump:

"You can’t make enough rules to make somebody think." :bow:

Say no more...

Efter första genomläsningen slår mig en tanke:
Tänk om dom nyligen införda hoppkvalen kommer att öka risken för hästfall i terrängen?
Måste läsa igenom artikeln noga minst två gånger till.

Är det ok om jag tillber din husgud jag med?:bow:

Hans teorier bekräftar mina egna gissningar om hästarnas initsiativförmåga och dagens utbildningssystem :crazy: :cool:

Kan bara instämma, :bow: suveränt att det kommer fram artiklar om detta och att det dessutom kommer ifrån stora profiler inom sporten. Hoppas att fler tar detta till sig detta, läste i senaste Ridsport inlägg ifrån svensk, t.o.m internationell banbyggare (tror jag), som också får en att undra hur de tänker ?? Att bygga logiken kring att så länge det är fasta hinder så kommer saker att hända, gör dem därför rivbara (typ banhoppningshinder) :confused: Hallå vad har vi då kvar? jo banhoppning i skogen, detta på grund av att ryttare och hästar inte klarar av något annat eller ?? :angel:

Hur får man alla dessa tankar, idéer att komma vidare, omsättas i praktisk handling, även här hemma, de är ju för bra för att de bara ska stanna i artiklar.

Efter första genomläsningen slår mig en tanke:
Tänk om dom nyligen införda hoppkvalen kommer att öka risken för hästfall i terrängen?
Måste läsa igenom artikeln noga minst två gånger till.

Hur exakt skulle det gå till? Vad som visat sig är att ingen har haft några större problem att kvala tom de hästar som inte hoppar så väl har lyckats kvala alltså inget har ändrat sig nämnvärt på den punkten med facit i hand.

Man skall ALLTID läsa hela artikeln innan man skriver något :D

Vad han är inne på är ju vad vi här oxå faktiskt varit inne på det där med om dressyren tar bort hästens initiativförmåga för att den blir för samlad och för lydig, jag kan hålla med om det och inte faktiskt.

Dels beror det först och främst på hästens ursprungliga temprament. Dels är det en ryttarsak att efter dressyren fortfarande känna igen sin hoppegalopp och att hästen är väl framför hjälperna! När man tror man har galoppen så behövs det en hel del till :D Det ser man ju allt för ofta ekipage som kommer in på hoppebanan i dressyrgalopp = ingen koll på galoppen överhuvudtaget, hästen helt bakom hjälperna vilket då syns i hoppmomentet. Det är ju därför dom flesta ft hästar hoppar bättre i riktig banhoppning då dom inte gått dressyr en halvtimme innan eller dagen innan.

Det ligger mycket i det där att ft hästen mer och mer blir som en "riktig" dressyrhäst och skall samla sig därefter med allt vad det innebär och det ställer ju högre krav på ryttarens känsla.
Förr på 3 dagars tog nästan alla en lungöppnare efter dressyren man skulle väl kunna kalla det för "tillbaka till en riktig galopp" öppnare egentligen.
Hur många gör det idag?

Inte för att klanka ner eller så men han vill ju helst gå tillbaka i utvecklingen vad det gäller hopp och dressyren men vad jag kan tycka så red ft-ryttarna överlag inte särskilt bra förr i tiden i dessa momenten eller det var ju katastrof mao och med dom nya högre kraven ställs det mycket större krav på ryttarnas ridkunskap, det går att fixa , det finns ju dom som gör det även om det inte myllrar av dom. Men då kommer vi tillbaka till det igen dvs ryttarens ansvar och förbättring av ryttarnas känsla och kunskap när man sätter ihop alla momenten till dagens fälttävlan.

Senast ändrad:

Man skall ALLTID läsa hela artikeln innan man skriver något :D
Tror det där var riktat mot mig :confused: Om du hade läste hela mitt inlägg borde du inte skrivit så.

Min uppfattning är att möjligen någon enstaka ft-ryttare i sverige är kapabel att rida en häst i vad Reiner Klimke kallar samling. Dom som brukar få mer än godkänt i S:t Georg och uppåt får gärna säga emot.
Däremot tror jag att alltför mycket dressyrarbete på bekostnad av övrig träning är olämplig för en ft-häst.

Däremot är synpunkterna på den förändring som skett i banhoppning i högsta grad relevanta.
Om jag tänker tillbaka på hoppträningar för 30 år sedan, och jämför med träningar i dag är det en enorm skillnad.
Dåtida banhoppningsträningar var direkt användbara i terrängen.

Jag tror att vi måste inse att ft består av tre vitt skilda delprov.
Alla tre rids på helt olika sätt.
Alla tre kräver olika träning.

Att försumma terrängträningen kan kosta mer än en utebliven rosett.

Tror det där var riktat mot mig :confused: Om du hade läste hela mitt inlägg borde du inte skrivit så.

Min uppfattning är att möjligen någon enstaka ft-ryttare i sverige är kapabel att rida en häst i vad Reiner Klimke kallar samling. Dom som brukar få mer än godkänt i S:t Georg och uppåt får gärna säga emot.
Däremot tror jag att alltför mycket dressyrarbete på bekostnad av övrig träning är olämplig för en ft-häst.

Däremot är synpunkterna på den förändring som skett i banhoppning i högsta grad relevanta.
Om jag tänker tillbaka på hoppträningar för 30 år sedan, och jämför med träningar i dag är det en enorm skillnad.
Dåtida banhoppningsträningar var direkt användbara i terrängen.

Jag tror att vi måste inse att ft består av tre vitt skilda delprov.
Alla tre rids på helt olika sätt.
Alla tre kräver olika träning.

Att försumma terrängträningen kan kosta mer än en utebliven rosett.

Nej det var riktat till mig själv, vad Ingrid Klimke och Bettina Hoy tex gör är att dom INTE skiljer så mkt på de olika delproven utan rider dom alla med samma röda tråd. Det är ju så man måste göra för att det skall funka!

Liknande trådar

• Artikel
Företag We are located on the north side of Lake Balaton. Surrounded by hills and vineyards, we have access to excellent trails and even better...
Svar
· Visningar
Kropp & Själ Läste en artikel och såg då detta. Finns det någon mer som över huvud taget hört talas om detta? Jag känner jag inte har en i närheten...
Svar
· Visningar
Senast: 95johsv
·
Övr. Barn Jag och barnen ska resa. Jag kollar på vilka dokument som behövs. Vissa länder kräver ju medgivande från den andra vårdnadshavaren. Vi...
Svar
· Visningar
1 080
L
  • Artikel
Dagbok Idag så släppte Ed Sheeran ett nytt album. Och som ni kanske vet så älskar jag hans musik ❤️ Och jag har iprincip inte sovit nånting...
Svar
· Visningar

Bukefalos, Hästnyheter, Radannonser

Allmänt, Barn, Dagbok

Hund, Katt, Andra Djur

Hästrelaterat

Omröstningar

• Göra inlägg med mobilen
Tillbaka